My Amazon Author Page

Find my Amazon author page via this link

"A Scottish Wind in the Willows on high end skunk."

"I enjoy Kate's stories..."
"A fun and spooky read..."

"The characters are so involving and
loveable that you do want them to really exist. It does read like you've
stumbled across someone's long lost diary from and alternate timeline/universe.
I quickly got into the story and loved every second of reading it...
total gem of a read by an author who deserves a lot more recognition."


SCROLL DOWN THE PAGE TO FIND LINKS TO ALL FOUR BOOKS

Sunday, 17 November 2013

Now Reading....Somerset Maugham and Helen Percy

I finished Somerset Maugham's The Magician a week or so ago, and have since read a couple more of his short stories from the volume I mentioned before.
After my initial feeling of disappointment, which I mentioned in a previous post, I stuck with The Magician and ended up really quite liking it.  It's quite a good early horror 'romp' and I note that there was a film adaptation made in 1926 by Rex Ingram.  I will post a Youtube link after.
However I prefer Maugham's short stories, which are always entertaining and insightful, and I'm finding them pretty inspiring for me as a writer.
Another book I'm reading at the moment is Scandalous,  Immoral and Improper - the Trial of Helen Percy, which is her own account of her 'trial' by the Church of Scotland - and by the press - back in the 1990s.  I'm not sure why it popped into my head recently;  I suppose I've been meaning to read it for a while.  I'm glad I've finally got round to it.  It's beautifully written and quite fascinating.   Lots of resonances for me personally, not least because I was working in the area at the time and remember the 'scandal' vividly,  via the headlines and the odd bit of local gossip.  I thought at the time that it all sounded 'wrong', on a number of levels.  Nobody really comes out of it well.  It's published by Argyll Publishing, a small independent.  I'm puzzled as to why a bigger publisher didn't pick it up; given the extreme publicity the case received at the time I would imagine it would be a seller.  Perhaps not. Anyway,  I haven't finished the book yet and will give my opinion after.  It will require some thought.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.