My Amazon Author Page

Find my Amazon author page via this link

"A Scottish Wind in the Willows on high end skunk."

"I enjoy Kate's stories..."
"A fun and spooky read..."

"The characters are so involving and
loveable that you do want them to really exist. It does read like you've
stumbled across someone's long lost diary from and alternate timeline/universe.
I quickly got into the story and loved every second of reading it...
total gem of a read by an author who deserves a lot more recognition."


SCROLL DOWN THE PAGE TO FIND LINKS TO ALL FOUR BOOKS

Wednesday, 26 February 2014

Now Reading/Writing News

I finished Gil Scott Heron's Memoir last night.  It's an entertaining and inspiring read and I'll dip into it again over the next few days, to have another look at the pages whose corners I folded down.  (Yes, I do that, I've always done that, and yes I am aware that it isn't big or clever.)
The book was edited posthumously in the main and after an intensely engaging beginning and middle it does rather fizzle out towards the end, and finishes abruptly.  There's an epilogue written by Jamie Byng that explains why, but nevertheless it left me with an Oh! is that it? feeling.   Slightly...disappointed, curious - lots of unanswered questions about his life.  I wonder if he regretted leaving his job as an English professor to pursue his musical path.  I wonder why he became estranged from his children.  I wonder if he burned out too young.  I wonder if there is a biography anywhere.  I will look.  Overall though its a very good read and I am left with a sense of respect and appreciation for the man and for the editors who put the book together.  And for the person who gave me the token which led me to that table in Waterstones St Andrews on which I found it.
My next read is one I'm very excited about.  A Liar's Autobiography by Graham Chapman.  I've been meaning to read it for ages.  It was a penny buy from Amazon (needs must) and I must say it's a bit on the manky side.  Good condition?  I think not.  I will demand my penny back...ummmm...no.
Another penny buy, this time brand spanking new, is Hazlitt's On the Pleasure of Hating.  I haven't read Hazlitt before but I generally really enjoy books from around that era - Wollstonecraft,  Shelley, Charles Lamb, Leigh Hunt (Byron's Wit in the Dungeon) and so forth.  I've dipped into its pristine white pages with my stubby, grubby, chocolate biscuit-y fingers since it arrived the other day and it looks brilliant - can't wait to get stuck into it.
On the writing front,  I'm working on three or four different things at the moment, most of which I hope to submit to publications.  I log on to Shortbread Stories more frequently these days but somehow it feels a bit wrong to have returned, I feel it isn't perhaps the place for me any more, I'm not that inclined to submit much there in terms of work, at the moment anyway, and I feel a bit of a clot really, for trying to participate in a place that has clearly moved on (or perhaps I have...), so I'm not sure how I will proceed from here.  Never go back - a dictum I have ignored at various times in life, and it has rarely worked out well.  (I must find out what that is, in Latin.   Nil returnabat, or something*. )I will continue to fundraise via e-book sales till Easter, as promised, in any event.  And I'll probably continue to produce and submit Psychotweeters, when they occur to me.
*it's 'redeundum' by the way.  Thanks, Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.