My Amazon Author Page

Find my Amazon author page via this link

"A Scottish Wind in the Willows on high end skunk."

"I enjoy Kate's stories..."
"A fun and spooky read..."

"The characters are so involving and
loveable that you do want them to really exist. It does read like you've
stumbled across someone's long lost diary from and alternate timeline/universe.
I quickly got into the story and loved every second of reading it...
total gem of a read by an author who deserves a lot more recognition."


SCROLL DOWN THE PAGE TO FIND LINKS TO ALL FOUR BOOKS

Thursday, 27 February 2014

Today's Walk - Mill Dam, Perthshire

mill dam 27/2/14 sea penguin
Mill Dam

monster head seaa penguin 27/2/14
I always think this looks like a monster's head

burn sea penguin 27/2/14
Burn at The Glack

to loch of the lowes 27/2/14 sea penguin
Looking south towards Loch of the Lowes


A walk today which I know very well indeed.  To the Mill Dam, near Dunkeld in Perthshire.  I must have been there hundreds of times over the last twenty odd years.  It used to be a fairly dark walk up a forestry track, until you got to the open area round the Dam, but recently many of the forestry trees have been felled and it's a lot more open, albeit a bit Somme-like with tree stumps and rutted tracks and the general detritus and destruction left behind.  However, trees are already well on the way to regenerating the forests in places - not sure if they will stay there as they aren't native species.  I'm not sure what the forestry policy is regarding trees at the moment - I think they aim for a mix of native trees rather than the depressing blanket coverage of stifling sitka spruce favoured by them in the 60s and 70s.  They seem to be chopping a heck of a lot down, anyway.
It's often a good walk for seeing wildlife.  It's very unusual not to see red squirrels and roe and fallow deer.  However, today I saw none of those except for a few roe deer grazing in a field on my drive back.  I saw only a pair of buzzards displaying, a pair of swans on the far side of the Dam, and a couple of tufted duck.  There's usually a robin hopping about by the seat at the Dam, looking for crumbs from people's sandwiches, but even that wasn't around today.  Very quiet.  I look forward to going up there in a month or two when it is a brilliant place for seeing newts and frogs.  And by then of course, the ospreys will have arrived.  They fish regularly in the Dam during the summer months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.