My Amazon Author Page

Find my Amazon author page via this link

"A Scottish Wind in the Willows on high end skunk."

"I enjoy Kate's stories..."
"A fun and spooky read..."

"The characters are so involving and
loveable that you do want them to really exist. It does read like you've
stumbled across someone's long lost diary from and alternate timeline/universe.
I quickly got into the story and loved every second of reading it...
total gem of a read by an author who deserves a lot more recognition."


SCROLL DOWN THE PAGE TO FIND LINKS TO ALL FOUR BOOKS

Friday, 7 March 2014

Just Read and Now Reading...Graham Chapman's A Liar's Autobiography and Evelyn Waugh's The Loved One

I expected to enjoy A Liar's Autobiography and I wasn't disappointed.  I read it really quickly and when I finished it I had that horrible bereft feeling that you get at the end of some books.  Apparently it was written by five people.  I'm not sure if that is part of the lie, or not.  And I'm not sure how much of the book is true. I'm kind of going with the idea that the essence of the book is true, and the facts maybe don't matter too much.  At any rate,  I laughed out loud at several bits.  And laughed uncontrollably at others; in fact I haven't laughed so much at a book since I read Chic Murray's 'Long Nose' story a couple of years ago.  It is grim in parts however, and occasionally shocking, in ways you mightn't expect.
As with Gil Scott Heron's memoir (see previous posts), I am left feeling that I'd like to know more.  I intend to watch the film, as soon as I get round to it.   Ah well.  Fickle reader that I am, I've moved swiftly on, to The Loved One by Evelyn Waugh.  I haven't read Waugh for donkey's years, not since I was in my 20s I think.  His brittle style jarred at first, having jumped straight in after Graham Chapman so to speak, but I'm getting used to it now.  It's about early Hollywood and I like that era so am finding it reasonably engaging so far, but I'm not what you could call 'gripped'.  I'm about a third of the way through, persevering with the overt cleverness.  I find myself hankering after Somerset Maugham.  Similar era.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.