My Amazon Author Page

Find my Amazon author page via this link

"A Scottish Wind in the Willows on high end skunk."

"I enjoy Kate's stories..."
"A fun and spooky read..."

"The characters are so involving and
loveable that you do want them to really exist. It does read like you've
stumbled across someone's long lost diary from and alternate timeline/universe.
I quickly got into the story and loved every second of reading it...
total gem of a read by an author who deserves a lot more recognition."


SCROLL DOWN THE PAGE TO FIND LINKS TO ALL FOUR BOOKS

Wednesday, 20 August 2014

Hanx for the Memory - my "Portable"Typewriter

I've just been reading about Tom Hanks' popular new Ipad app, the Hanx Writer, or something.  I don't have an Ipad and I don't have any apps.  I don't really want any of that shit.  I don't need it, and I don't even know what any of it is, if I'm honest. Well, I do, but only in the vaguest way. And if you don't know what something is,  you can't possibly need it, right?
I think I might have to think about that for a while.
I'm not interested in the latest technological wheezes, unless they impinge directly on my personal psychological or physical terrain.  I do, however, have a portable typewriter (I think I might even have two of them) stowed away somewhere in the eaves of my house, which I've owned since I can't remember when.  Possibly as far back as the 1970s.   It was a reconditioned one which my father bought me from a poky back-street stationers for my birthday one year; it seemed incredibly hi-tech at the time, with its sleek grey lines and clip-on hard plastic carrying-case.  I wanted it because I wanted to write, and I felt that a typewriter would help, somehow.  It didn't.  It was imbued with the grey horror of the grimy back-street shop where we bought it, with its grey walls and cheap grey carpet and grey people in the back shop with grey fag-ash hanging off their lips and grey hair and grey suspicious eyes and grey rain drizzling down on the grey pavements and grotty grey gutters outside the unwashed grey windows.  Every time I opened it I felt defeated by a miasma of greyness.
Or at least that's my excuse.
It weighs a ton by the way, and the handle is tight and awkward, and the clips have a tendency to undo themselves, leaving the typewriter free to crash to the ground as you heft it around.  'Portable' is a bit of a mis-nomer, therefore.
And it's so noisy! Tippy tappy tip....itty tap....taptaptap...ZINGGGGGGGG.....and then the frayed ribbon snaps or goes dry.
I hate the clunking thing.
I keep it because my partner is determinedly technology-phobic and he won't let me chuck it out. He's convinced that the internet and everything related will eat itself.    I still don't think that it follows that we need to keep the typewriter.  Surely a pen and paper would...."Keep it!" he said. "You never know!" he said.
And now it appears to be back in fashion. Almost...
I'll dig it out, if I can be bothered, and post a photo.  I might even try writing something with it. But to be honest I can't see myself reverting to carbon paper and Tippex.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.