Search This Blog

Pages

Thursday 17 July 2008

Tuppy plans a supper party

Geoffrey stopped by for lunch again today. He was in a dreadful state. It was the neighbour problem again - the Fulmars. He'd heard from another neighbour that they are to have another party this weekend, and yet again no sign of an invitation for poor Geoffrey. He feels quite distraught and his self esteem is simply plummeting.
"I'll tell you what, Geoffrey. You pop over here on Friday evening and I'll make a nice pot of stovies for us. We'll put the world to rights over a glass or two of madeira and you can have a puff of my Black Bogey."
Geoffrey looked at me gratefully. Just as he was opening hs beak to reply, a voice trebled "Can I come, uncle Tuppy? Can I come on Friday evening, and have stovies, a glass of madeira and a puff of Black Bogey, as well?"
It was Tuppence. He trotted on to the rocky outcrop and gambolled up to the fireside where Geoffrey and I were seated on either side of a roaring blaze.
"No, Tuppence, you can't come..."I began, firmly, determined to put my foot down this time. But Tuppence was prepared. He narrowed his little eyes, and shrilled, "I'll tell Granny Sooker you've been smoking again!"
I quailed. Anything but that. I didn't often see Granny Sooker, but when I did, it tended to be a somewhat tense occasion, and very bad for my nerves, to put it mildly. Geoffrey simply couldn't cope at all, and in his present state, who knew what lengths he might be driven to.
"Very well, Tuppence. You can join us. But best behaviour, mind! and it's lemonade for you."
Tuppence jumped round in a circle excitedly.
"Bring some of your mum's cherry and sultana, if you can get it." suggested Geoffrey. "And mind - no need to say anything to Granny Sooker."
Tuppence smiled and looked demure. "Course not."
After Geoffrey and Tuppence had left, I sat by the fire puffing away on my pipe. What would the weekend bring, I wondered. And how would I get Geoffrey's self esteem back on track? Would the stovies and madeira do the trick? Somehow I doubted it. But I was sure I'd think of something.

1 comment: