Search This Blog

Pages

Wednesday 16 July 2008

Geoffrey has a bad case of indigestion

Geoffrey dropped in for lunch yesterday as planned, and I knocked up a quick fish finger sandwich as promised. Well, three sandwiches, actually, as Tuppence arrived, too. And after the way he cheeked me yesterday - wind, indeed! - I had to admire his nerve.
Anyway, I could tell by a certain agitated look in his eye, and a slight tremor when he pecked at his sandwich, that Geoffrey had something on his mind, so I gave Tuppence short shrift and once he'd eaten I told him to go and play with the other lambs.
"But there aren't any other lambs!" he bleated. "I'm all on my own!"
Why am I not surprised, I thought to myself.
By this time Geoffrey was flapping his wings and pacing around the rocky outcrop in an agitated manner. He looked like he was about to suffer from a dreadful case of indigestion. I decided to take control.
"Tuppence! if you haven't any friends to play with, go and find yourself something else to do. Go down to the cliffs and look for whales." Tuppence hung his head, braced his little legs and glared at me defiantly from under his eyebrows.
"Yes, I mean it Tuppence! Geoffrey and I want to talk. Go and play on the cliffs. Right at the edge. Go on now."
"May I take your binoculars uncle Tuppy? To help me look for whales?"
"I suppose so. But be careful. Don't drop them." Tuppence smiled innocently and trotted over to the ledge where they were kept. He slung the leather strap over his little horns and made for the cliffs.
"Thank you uncle Tuppy! I won't let you down!"
I watched him benignly as he gambolled over to the cliffs. "Maybe he's not such a bad lad," I sighed.
"Don't kid yourself. That lamb has a dark side. I wouldn't trust..." Geoffrey began to cough violently, and turned an alarming puce.
I patted him on the back. "What is it, Geoffrey? What is it that's troubling you so much today? You're not yourself, at all."
Geoffrey struggled to contain his sobs as he blurted out the cause of his distress. "It's the new neighbours. The Fulmars. They had a party on Saturday and invited all the neighbours except me. I could hear the music, the laughter...it was awful. What's wrong with me, Tuppy? Why was I left out?"
"There's nothing wrong with you, Geoffrey. You're the best friend I've got. Calm down now. We'll get to the bottom of it, and sort out these Fulmar people."
Geoffrey dried his eyes with the back of a wing and took a deep breath. "Thank you, Tuppy. You're ever such a good chap..." he began to break down again.
"Now, now, Geoffrey. You'll end up with terrible dyspepsia."
"What's dyspepsia?" a little voice piped from just behind us. Geoffrey and I nearly jumped out of our skins.
"Tuppence!"
"What's dyspepsia? "he shrilled again, swinging the binoculars in an arc above his head. "Is it wind? has he been eating turnips, like you uncle Tuppy?"
Geoffrey and I exchanged an exasperated glance. So much for playing on the cliff edge. I shrugged my shoulders and heaved a heavy sigh as Geoffrey flapped his wings and prepared for take off.
"Fish fingers at one again tomorrow, Geoffrey?"
His reply was lost on the wind as he soared into the sinking sun...

No comments:

Post a Comment